Hello! I am Carla Filipe and I am an abstract artist based in Sydney, Australia. I am a trained graphic designer, having completed a Bachelor of Design degree from the College of Fine Arts (CoFA), The University of New South Wales.
I grew up in a small village in rural central Portugal, before migrating to Australia at the age of 10. These formative years living simply and frugally off the land in my grandparents farm, surrounded by rolling green mountains and the natural world at my doorstep, have become the fuel for my creative vision.
My art is a statement of how I experience the world, which is namely through feeling and vibration. I use bold colour, abstract forms and line work to create worlds of fluid vibrancy. I want to capture the potency of pure joy that is inherent in each colour and the magical alchemy that occurs as forms and hues collide.
I am interested in the natural world – in representing the micro and macro aspects of human existence and our connection to Mother Earth and beyond. My themes explore nature and the cosmos – in finding the expansive beauty inherent in vibrant landscapes and forms. In doing so, I am finding the beauty and wonder that exist when I am exploring internal landscapes of my own state of being.
Media and publications
- Hunter and Bligh online lifestyle blog ‘Top 5 Australian artist for 2020′
- ArtEdit magazine artist profile
- Donum online store and creative lab
- ‘Urns of 2020 – Rising from the Ashes’ group exhibition, 10-21 December 2020. Exhibition held at Gaffa Gallery, 281 Clarence Street, Sydney, NSW, Australia.
- The Art Gallery – Open Studio group exhibition, 19 October – 4 November 2018. Exhibition held at Studio #2, 17 Oxford Street, Paddington, NSW, Australia.
- The Goddess Within group exhibition, 13 – 22 November 2015. Exhibition held at OnePlus2Studios, 483 Balmain Road, Lillyfield, NSW Australia.